Tuesday, January 23, 2007

guitars, fingers, fired, and the road

yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life.

i guess.

in a roundabout way, i got "fired" from ulanguzi. no, no slander on them. I deserved it for the most part. Since day one, my mind has been someone else. I didn't want to bother with naming files correctly. I got pissy when a client complained. I pretty much hated my work. I did really love the people though. I was two weeks away from quitting, and they basically let me go early, comped my pay a little, and slapped me on the wrist for being such an apathetic and absent-minded designer.

I do love graphic design. Is it a passion? No. A sometimes fun job? Yes. Did I like creating brochures for local real estate companies? No no no no no. Do I like getting blammed for a late project when it's the client's fault that the proper photographs are not provided? Nooooooooooo.

So that's over and it was made very clear that using them as a reference would be a bad idea. And so it goes: my first professional job out of college. Failure.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy was I absent-minded? The band. The bain of my existence. What I would live and die for. I'll also add that it aides in making me more than finacially stable.

And MY clients don't complain. They're all too happy or drunk or both. They appreciate me. And to be appreciated for something that you've wanted to do your entire life is such an incredible feeling. To see someone mouth "I love her" is shocking. I just want to keep climbing. Hopefully it won't all come crashing down. It probably will.

If I can just get over being the laziest perfectionist in the world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home